CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

05 December 2011

The Spirit of Christmas and Music

One of my favorite parts of the Christmas season is definitely the music.  I start playing Christmas music on Thanksgiving day and it plays up until New Years.  I LOVE singing Christmas music.  Now, I'm sure anyone who knows me, knows that I'm really not a great singer.  However, I do love to sing and I love the words of the Christmas songs and hymns we sing at this time of year.

For one of my Personal Progress value experiences, I joined our ward choir.  I figured I might as well sing Christmas music since it's fun to sing.  So, for the past few weeks, I've been going to choir practice on Sunday afternoons.  We're singing some really awesome songs for sacrament meeting on Christmas morning.  I've even been practicing at home, which means the keyboard is out and I've been playing and singing...much to Tim's delight.

So, while all of this Christmas music has been around me, I've been reminded of the power of music, especially at this time of year.  I love going into the stores and hearing the different versions of Christmas hymns.  I love seeing people smiling and singing along.  I love how much all of this music brings the Christmas spirit into our lives. 

How can you not smile, when you hear "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" or "What Child is This" or "O Come All Ye Faithful" and you remember why we celebrate Christmas?  My heart is full when I think about the humble birth of our Lord and Savior and the amazing impact this small baby boy has had in not only my life, but on the entire world!  I'm so grateful that this music exists and that we can solely focus on Jesus Christ at this time of year. 

Next time you hear your favorite Christmas song or hymn, please take a moment to remember the reason for the season.  And sing along, of course!  :)

0 comments: