CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

06 February 2009

Lactate Threshold Run

When I looked at my training schedule for the week, I saw that my key workout was a lactate threshold test for my run. Basically, a lactate threshold test is a test to determine how hard you can work. By knowing that, you can then work on improving your speed. I'm not a fast runner, so this was an important test for me to do. However, it also meant running at a faster pace than I prefer and was going to be tough. I was pretty much dreading it.

On Tuesday morning, I woke up to do the test and saw that the windchill was -17. Yeah, running outside was so not happening. I e-mailed Chris (my coach) and he said I needed to do the test indoors anyway, so I scheduled it for this morning. I figured if I came over to the ISU track at 5am, it would be empty and I could get the test done with no audience. Of course, I continued to dread the test.

This morning, my alarm went off at 4:30am. I hit snooze, laid there, hit snooze again, and literally had to talk myself into getting up and going to the track to run. I didn't want to at all. I was dreading it, but I finally got up, got dressed and headed out the door...still grumbling in my head.

When I arrived, I ran into Steve, a man I used to swim with so I chatted with him for a few minutes. I turned on the ipod and started running. The workout was a 10 minute warmup, followed by some intervals, and then the thirty minute test. The fieldhouse was empty so I was thinking maybe this won't be so bad. However, once I started my intervals, the football team started showing up.

Now, I run in spandex because my legs are fat and rub together and chafing sucks. I'm fairly certain that none of my students should ever see their professors in spandex because I remember seeing one of my professors in spandex and it scarred me. It could have been because he was a male professor and he was running in white spandex (BLECH), but still... So, here I am running around this blasted track with the whole football team, as well as some of my athletic training students for an audience.

I wanted to quit. I wanted to just be done and go home, but I hadn't even started my actual test. So, I turned up the ipod, continued the internal dialogue and kept running. I tried to remind myself that the audience was there doing their own thing and not watching me at all. I told myself that I was doing something good for me that will absolutely help me become a better triathlete. I enjoyed my music and remembered how much I love to run while listening to music. I watched the clock and my heart rate and reminded myself that I absolutely would not yack in front of anyone. And, I finished the test...

The results of the test weren't that great. I'm a little disappointed, but it was my first LT test and maybe it will make me a better runner. My right soleus is nice and tight with a big fat knot in it, but I did the workout. I talked myself into doing something that I was dreading and it turned out to be okay. In fact, I may have to start running on the track for the rest of the cold days...especially since I seem to be doing my runs at 5am.

So, lessons learned today. I have a much better attitude for the day when I get up and get my workouts done first thing. Doing workouts when I'm dreading them and have to talk myself into doing them makes me mentally tougher. I'm not a fast runner, but at least I have a baseline to work from. Oh, and running in spandex in front of my students is still awkward. :)

**Oh, I figured out what the deal is with the blisters...apparently, its a certain pair of socks. No blister today, but definitely a hot spot. The socks are already in the garbage, never to be worn again for running.

1 comments:

See You at the Finish Line said...

Well done AJ,
Great job getting past all the negative self-talk and getting down to business.

When you're worried about what your students might think, remember Steve in a Speedo. Now, his students have reason to be scared on a fairly regular basis!