CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

16 February 2009

Changing a Tire Part III

Since I posted the beginning of the story and the middle of the story, I needed to post the end, so here goes...

After work on Friday afternoon, I headed to the bike shop. I had my wheel in the backseat and carried it inside. The guys there said, "What do you need?" I explained the situation and expressed my frustration at my inability to get this stupid tire to stay inflated. He said, "You've probably pinched the tube." I actually said out loud, "Really...3 times in a row. Is that even possible?" (I was still angry and frustrated.) He invited me to the back to watch and proceeded to teach me (again) how to change a tire.

He fought and fought and fought to get the tire off. I gloated. He said, "Wow, these are the tightest tires I've ever seen. Did you put the wrong size tire on the rim?" I gloated some more and said, "Nope, they're the tires that came with the bike." He fought and fought and finally got the tire off. He was sweating. I was feeling very vindicated. At least I'm not the only person who can't get the blasted tire off.

He pulled out the tube. It had, get this, 3 holes in it. One in the middle of the tube and one on each side. The bike guy looked at me and said, "I've never seen a pinch like this." I didn't know what to say. He went and got another tube (the 4th one in a week) and put it in and proceeded to explain to me that I should always blow up the tube slightly before I put it in (I do that) and that I have to make sure that the tube is inside the tire (I thought I was doing that as well).

Once the tube was in the tire, he started wrestling the tire back on the rim. I gloated. He fought and fought and fought and sweated and fought. He said, "Make sure you don't just use your thumbs, because this tire is tight." I thought in my inside voice, "You think?!?" After much wrestling and gnashing of teeth, he got the tire on, pumped up the tube and walked me up front.

He charged me $12 for the tube and labor, which in my world, was totally worth it. I felt completely vindicated that I wasn't the only person who struggled with the blankety blank wheel. He also said, "Your tires are good for another 2 years." I just looked at him and said, "I will be buying new tires as soon as I start riding outside. I will also NEVER buy these tires again. I want tires that come off and go on easily without the whole wrestling match."

So, there's my tire changing story. I'm fairly certain if I have another flat anytime soon, I will be taking Oscar's wheel into the bike shop and paying the $12 to let them fight with it. I will also be buying new tires that don't require adult words, sweating, throwing things and anger.

0 comments: