CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

01 January 2009

~Happy New Year~


It's the first day of 2009. For the past few weeks, I've been spending alot of time pondering my goals for this year. Usually, I take some time to re-evaluate my goals from last year and see how I did. That didn't take very long because in 2008, I only achieved 1 of my goals...out of about 8. That never happens with me...in fact, when I mentioned it to my mom, she didn't believe me. However, it's true. So, after that very fine moment of realizing that I did really poorly on my goal setting last year, I decided that I needed some new goals for 2009 and I needed to be tremendously more successful on those new goals.

I started thinking and wondering and pondering and thinking and wondering and pondering...do you get the picture? I couldn't come up with any goals, not because I think I'm perfect, because I'm so far from that, but because all of the goals that I was coming up with myself seemed particularly challenging. In fact, they seemed almost impossible, like I was setting myself up for failure. I kept thinking and thinking and started getting incredibly frustrated...there were even tears. How could I not come up with any goals that were achievable, doable, challenging, etc?

In fact, yesterday, I decided I wasn't going to set any new year's resolutions because I did so poorly last year and because I couldn't seem to come up with any for this year. Furthermore, I read a few articles on why it's dumb to set new year's resolutions because only 1 in 10 people actually keep them. There's a pleasant thought... I tried to be with that whole reality for a day and that didn't work so well for me. I've been setting goals for myself since I was 5 years old. How could I not have some new goals? That would be like completely violating one of my core values.

So, after more thought, during a really great basketball game (Go Aggies!) I came up with a goal. I'll write more about this goal in another post, but I do have a goal. I'm much more at peace with being me because now I have something to work on. Maybe today, while I'm hanging out with my cute nephew and niece and playing games with my family and eating the best dessert ever, I'll come up with some more goals, but we'll see. For now, I'll just be happy that it's the start of a new year and that is always a good thing.

0 comments: