CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

30 November 2011

Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup





Tim loves homemade chicken noodle soup.  I do not...at all...never have...probably never will.  However, because my awesome hubby enjoys it so much and since its winter, I decided to make some for him today.  It's my Dad's recipe, which means there's not really a recipe, but I'll tell you what I did and maybe it will make sense?

Yesterday, I boiled a package of about 10 chicken thighs in water, seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and a couple of bay leaves.  I boiled the chicken for about 3+ hours and added water as necessary to make the broth.  Then, I separated the chicken from the broth and put it all in the refrigerator.

This morning, I skimmed all of the fat off of the broth and poured it into the crock pot.  Tim, because he knows how disgusted I get when I have to deal with chicken on bones, shredded the chicken into the broth.  I peeled and sliced up about 10 carrots and put them in the broth.  I also added a package of frozen corn from our garden, as well as some leftover broccoli from dinner the other night.  This hung out in the crockpot for about 9 hours.

With about an hour left, I added a package of egg noodles and a package of frozen peas.  Then, I let it finish cooking.  The above picture is the final product.  I will eat it.  I'm sure we'll have it for dinner again tomorrow night.  Tim loves it and it looks pretty so I guess it's a keeper. 

Oh, and Tim tried my Dad's homemade chicken noodle soup and said it was DELICIOUS.  Mine doesn't measure up but is still tasty.  Let me know if you make it and what you think!  You can also share any tips because I'm certainly not an expert at the soup making business.

0 comments: