CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

23 February 2012

Popovers



Last time I made pancakes, I discovered a recipe in my Cooking Light cookbook for "popovers" that looked delicious and I've been meaning to try it and finally found time today.  The picture in the book looks scrumptious and I was hoping that I could pull off something similar.  I was especially excited to see that there was no yeast involved since yeast and I don't really work so great together.  I had never had a popover, but I will say that they definitely worked out and this is a repeat recipe.  I think they would be really great with soup.

Ingredients:
1 c. flour
1/2 t. salt
1 c. milk
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 T. butter, melted
cooking spray
1 t. canola oil

Directions:
1. Combine flour and salt, stirring with a whisk. Combine milk and eggs in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk until blended; let stand 30 minutes.  Gradually add flour mixture, stirring well with a whisk.  Stir in butter.
2. Preheat oven to 375.
3. Coat muffin tin with cooking spray.  (The recipe said to brush canola oil evenly in cups to coat, but I didn't do this and mine worked great.) Place muffin tin in a 375 oven for 5 minutes. Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups.  Bake at 357 for 35 minutes.  Serve immediately.
**Don't open the oven door to peak at popovers, use the oven light.  Opening the door may cause them to deflate.**



My popovers rose great.  They taste pretty good.  I should mention that they're TOTALLY hollow inside...just in case you were expecting a flaky biscuit/roll texture.  I will definitely make them again, especially when we have soup.

1 comments:

Barb said...

Sounds like something I should try. See, you are a good cook, AJ.