CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

23 February 2012

Happy Valentine's Day!

Valentines Day at our house was kinda fun and definitely interesting this year.  When we woke up, I gave Tim a card and reminded him that I didn't get him a gift.  He's SO hard to buy for because he always buys what he wants when he wants and I've tried doing the "cutesy" gifts and he just thinks they're lame, so this year I decided he could get a card.

However, he surprised me with some really great gifts!   I got this super cute workout shirt, which fits GREAT!  He said he thought I might want a new running shirt for the 1/2 marathon in May.


I also got this awesome North Face jacket.  I tried this jacket on weeks ago and really liked it, but couldn't justify buying it when I already have several jackets.  So, when I opened the box and found the jacket inside, I was totally surprised!  The jacket is warm and I love it!


After Tim pulled off a great Valentines gift, I felt like I needed to do something for him...more than a card.  I decided to make him a delicious dinner.  I hit Maceys and ended up with what I thought would be a great Valentines dinner. 

We started the evening off with a bottle of sparkling apple-blueberry juice.  I'm not a huge fan of sparkling grape or apple juice, but I have to say that the blueberries were amazing.  I even broke out our fancy glasses.


While the potatoes were cooking and the grill was warming up, I made our salad.  We were supposed to have everything ready at once, but we ran into some problems.  Our salad ended up being an appetizer.


At Maceys, I picked up some "chicken grillers" from the meat counter.  I asked one of the butchers how to cook them and he said, "Grill them for 15-20 minutes."  I asked if you flipped them and he said, "Yes."  So, while the mashed potatoes were cooking, Tim fired up the grill.  However, the grill didn't get warm.  He realized that the propane tank was empty, so he swapped that out.  Round 2...we put the chicken on the grill, waited 10 minutes, and then flipped them.  I should probably mention that a chicken griller consists of a bacon wrapped chicken breast stuffed with wild rice, mushrooms, and something else that I can't remember right now.  We pulled them off the grill and this is what they looked like...


Until I cut mine open and realized that there was raw chicken on the inside.  Round 3 on the grill...we cooked the chicken for another 15 minutes or so and then checked the inside with our meat thermometer.  Of course, my piece (because I cut it in half) was totally overdone.  Tim's was good, but also a little overcooked.

So, my nice romantic dinner was a complete disaster.  We would buy the chicken grillers again, but I think I would definitely check with a different butcher on the actual cooking method/time.  Oh, and I've pretty much decided that since I'm not doing so hot in the Valentines/romantic department, I'll just let Tim spoil me on Valentines Day.  :)

0 comments: