01 August 2008

Tough Decisions

If you've kept up with my blog, you've probably noticed that there is no week 19 training plan. I've been dealing with some serious low back spasms and have struggled with walking, let alone training, so no week 19 training this week, due to injury. I still need to write up my open water swimming post, but I do need to mention something that happened while I was swimming in the ocean.

My dad was out in the ocean floating and I swam up to where he was and was practicing my treading water. We started talking and he complimented me on my swimming and then he started talking about the race. Perhaps I should mention that my dad is a total risktaker. He always encourages me to do things (like swim in really cold water at the BAM tri) and he keeps me doing and trying daring things often. Anyways, my dad, who never says anything but go out and do your best, said, "I don't feel comfortable with you swimming in Utah Lake. In fact, I think it's pretty irresponsible for the race director to put on a race that involves a swim in the most dangerous lake in Utah." He talked to me about the waves and boat turnovers and drownings and rescues that occur there every year. In fact, there have been 3-4 drownings this year. Anyways, he encouraged me to consider not doing the race.

So, after much thought, I've pretty much decided that because of the back spasms, not so great training, and a possibly unsafe swim, to not do the Utah 1/2 IM. Although, as I type that, I'm thinking that maybe I should wait to see how it goes next week... The good news is that I've found a 1/2 IM in IL on September 6 that I can do, so I'm thinking that might be the way to go.